Displaying a countdown timer for participants

CarlF carlf4567 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 20:53:29 UTC 2008

Hi Matt -

Thanks for making the very helpful example available for download.

I do have a further question.

If the countdown timer in CountDownClock.es were not text, but
rather were a series of images to be presented through the services
of a SlideImage object, can I do a Load before the Draw inside the
countdown loop, without the Load of the next image glitching the
display of the image that was Draw(n) in the previous iteration
of the loop?

Suppose I put a first Load outside the loop, and then have the in-loop
order of operations be to Draw, and then to Load the next image.
Does this give me fairly fine grained control of when images
are displayed?  Is there any time auditing info that will reliably
tell
me when the most recent Draw of any SlideStim child object occurred,
so that I can track time stolen by the o/s?

Lastly, assuming that Draw and Load are atomic in the way that
I'm hoping: Suppose that I'm drawing a succession of large images
to a screen region--for purposes of discussion, let's say its a
pre-animated full-screen countdown timer running at 30 frames
a second--that may not reliably roll off of disk fast enough.  Is
there a way I can buffer these images outside the countdown
loop, and then Load them from the in-memory buffer to the
SlideImage object, so that they are available well before I get
back around to the Draw operation?

Thanks so much for your help.

Cheers,

Carl F.