Scanner trigger - how to ignore?

Jeff j.browndyke at duke.edu
Thu Aug 7 18:23:36 UTC 2008

Hello,

Glad to find this bulletin board.  We have a task coded in E-prime 1.2
for use in our 3T magnet with a Neuroscan response box.  I currently
have the task set up to recognize SRBOX buttons 1 and 2 (4-button box)
during the task, however our *.edat files have "5" logged for each
response row with often negative reaction times.  Apparently this is
the scanner trigger code, which is intruding upon the task and not
allowing the proper 1 and 2 SRBOX responses to be logged.

Here's the response I got from our IT guys, who is not an E-prime
user, but thought it might be helpful in ferreting out the problem:

The 4 buttons send data codes 1,2,4,8 which ePrime recognizes as
buttons 1-4.
The scanner trigger pulse is (and I believe always has been) connected
as button 5 and
sends a 16 code every time the scanner pulses (1/TR). I believe that
is the standard
ePrime arrangement. You can set your input parameters to expect button
5 as a trigger
start signal, and then only pay attention to buttons 1-4 for user

So, is there anyway to turn off the scanner trigger pulse in E-prime
or just to ignore it.  I'm not interested in e-Prime triggering, as
its just as easy (if not easier) to have the tech hit a key on the
scanner and a key to start the task at the same time.

Please help.

Thanks,
Jeff