experiment design

Matt Lenhart mplenhart at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 15:23:02 UTC 2008

Hi Thenille,

The most common options for presenting flashing stimuli in E-Prime
are:

1) If you are using E-Prime 2.0, create and present a movie file with
the desired effect.

2) Use InLine script and the Canvas object to quickly present and
remove images and/or text, creating a "flashing" effect. If you are
unfamiliar with the use of the Canvas object, I would recommend taking
a look at the Canvas topic in the E-Basic help (accessed via the Help
menu in E-Studio). The basic functions of the Canvas object are
presenting text, images, and shapes on the screen. The text, images,
and shapes can be removed by "clearing" the Canvas (i.e., screen).

3) Use InLine script and a Slide object to present a "flashing"
effect. Slide sub-objects can be accessed in InLine script and their
properties can be changed in real time. This requires a very specific
technique so that the Slide object can be presented on screen while
InLine script is running. In the FIles section, take a look at the
Process Responses Template sample for an example of how this is done.
Essentially, the Slide object's Duration is set to 0, while the End
Action is set to "none" and the Time Limit is set to however long you
want to allow the subject to respond. Because of this, the object will
be presented on screen and E-Prime will then immediately begin running
InLine script.

You should be able to adapt the sample directly to your purposes. The
primary change would be that your experiment will alter the color of
the Slide object at regular intervals, rather than waiting for a
response from the subject.

Matt
PST Technical Consultant
http://www.pstnet.com