Negative onset delay in event timing

Brian brianessex at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 19:06:31 UTC 2008

In my experiment, I have a fixation text display object set to event
timing. The next object after this
is a slide (which is also set to event timing). When I specify a
prerelease greater than zero (e.g. 100 ms) on the fixation object, I'm
noticing something strange happening. In edataaid, it says on about
10% of trials that the onset delay of the next object (the slide) is
-1 ms. For these trials, edataaid lists the offset time of the
fixation text object as one millisecond later (e.g. offset time of
12000 ms) than the onset time of the next slide (e.g. onset time of
11999 ms). Both objects are listed as being on the screen for the
correct duration (I calculated this by looking at each object's offset-
onset time).
Does anyone know what is going on here? The prerelease is nice because
it shortens the onset delay for trials, but the occurrence of this
timing irregularity makes me hesitant to use it.

I'm currently running eprime version 1.1.4.1 in windows xp pro.

Thanks,
Brian