Continuing SoundOut with changing Word display

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Mon Feb 11 19:08:25 UTC 2008

Mike,

At 2/8/2008 03:07 PM Friday, you wrote:
>I want to play a .wav file throughout the
>experiment. I don't want it to begin and end on each trial but to
>actually last for the entire block of the lexical decision task. There
>doesn't need to be any allowable response made what's played on
>the .wav file, I just want it to play in the background. Is there a
>way to do this?

I can think of two ways to do this, maybe somebody else can come up
with something better.  The first way takes advantage of standard
properties of the SoundOut object, and the second uses inline script.

(1)  The key here is that the duration of an object that plays a
sound is distinct from the duration of the sound that the object
plays, and either one can be longer than the other.  So, e.g, if you
set the duration of a SoundOut object to 0 and set StopAfter to No,
then the SoundOut object will start playing the sound, then the
object will end while the sound continues playing.  Your program may
then do something else while the sound keeps playing.

(2) In inline script you can use something like SoundOut1.Play.  This
will simply start playing the sound and then continue your program
while the sound plays (you will still need a SoundOut1 or whatever
object in Unreferenced E-Objects or somewhere).  In fact, as the
online E-Basic 1.1 help itself says in its description of the
SoundOut.Play method, "Playback is asynchronous, (e.g. the .wav file
begins playing and then program execution continues with the next
object in the procedure)...  Playback is not affected by the Duration
property of the SoundOut object", and, "SoundOut.Play differs from
SoundOut.Run, which is not asynchronous and may or may not play the
entire file, depending upon the values for the Duration and StopAfter
properties" (SoundOut.Run is what happens when you have a SoundOut
object in your E-Studio structure).

The script method is a bit cleaner, and for all I know is slightly
more efficient with computer resources.  On the other hand, script
obscures the structure of your experiment, and it may require objects
sitting mysteriously in the Unreferenced E-Objects area of the
E-Studio structure view.  Using a SoundOut object with duration 0 and
no Stop After has the virtue that it is plainly visible in the
structure view of your experiment.  It's up to you.

-- David McFarlane, Systems Designer
    Dept. Psychology, Michigan State University