Mirror image fonts?

David K McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Wed Feb 13 13:48:39 UTC 2008

Tony,

> I need to present text in mirror image. As there is a lot of it I
> don't really want to be creating lots of bitmaps and mirroring them.
> Is there a way I can create/add a mirrored font, or a better way of
> doing it?

Several times we have needed to do this, and we have never found a solution.
In some cases, as you say above, we just had to convert to images and mirror
reverse those.  However, this was going to be a major issue with our latest
fMRI task presentation system -- since the subject views the video through a
mirror, *every* stimulus in *every* experiment starts out mirror reversed.
In that case we spent a few hundred dollars on a video conversion box that
does mirror reversing for us, so everything comes out right (these gizmos
are designed for use in teleprompting, and are available at places like
BlackBox.com).

Sorry I couldn't be more help, let's hope someone has a better solution.

 -- David McFarlane, Systems Designer
  Dept. Psychology, Michigan State University