Samples per second

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Jan 29 15:22:10 UTC 2008

Michiel, Doug,

Hmm, my advice has always gone in the other
direction, never use any more resources than you
really have reason to use.  E.g., if the
experiment only uses a monophonic 1 kHz tone,
then why sample at 44.1 kHZ stereo when 11 kHz
mono will work just as well (and probably at 8
bit resolution to boot).  I would be interested in others' comments.

But on to Doug's question.  First, as Michiel
says, you cannot change audio parameters within
an experiment, so all your sound files must use
the same parameters.  Next, you must set the
properties of the Sound Device object to match
the properties of your sound files (Edit >
Experiment > Sound).  You will see entries for
Channel, Samples, and Bits Per Sample.  The
default (at least for my EP 1.2.1.841) is 2
Channels (i.e., stereo), 22050 Samples (per
second), 16 Bits Per Sample, so if you just make
your files to those parameters then you don't
have to make any changes in your E-Prime
experiment, otherwise adjust E-Prime here to match your sound files.

---
David McFarlane, Systems Designer
Dept. Psychology, Michigan State University
mcfarla9 at msu.edu    www.msu.edu/~mcfarla9
Voice: (517) 353-0799    Fax: (517) 353-1652