Randimization without replacement in blocks

David K McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Wed Jan 30 14:01:34 UTC 2008

Noga,

Just to make sure I understand, I'll put some example numbers on this.  You
have, say, 30 pictures, and you want to present 10 pictures each in 3
blocks, and you want each picture to appear only once across the entire
session.  If that is the case, then this is probably a job for nested lists.
Put all 30 pictures in a nested list that will be used by all three blocks.
Set the nested list to Random selection, and make sure that "Reset on every
run" is *off*.  Now the 30 pictures will be randomized once, and each block
will take samples from that one random order.

On the other hand, if you did want to allow pictures to appear only once
within a block but allow them to reappear across blocks, then turn on "Reset
on every run" for the nested list.

 -- David McFarlane