different presentation times

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Jul 15 16:03:27 UTC 2008

Jotapan,

>I only wan each word to appear once with the presentation time A or
>B (and have this be chosen randomly although an equal number of
>times during the experiment).

Aha.  Let me see if I have this now.  Let's say you have 10 different
words.  You want a random selection of five of these to appear for
2000ms, and the other five to appear for 5000ms.  Does that sound right?

For this you will need nested lists.  One way, let's use TrialList
for the words, and DurationList for the durations.  Put each word in
a row of TrialList, and put "DurationList" in the Nested
column.  DurationList will have two rows, and a column for
Duration.  Use 2000 for the Duration in one row, 5000 for the other
row, and set Weight in both rows to 5 (i.e., half of 10, per our
example above) .  Set all lists to Random selection (although, for
practice, you shoud first run everything as Sequential to see how it
works).  As an extra exercise, try setting the Weights in
DurationList instead to 1 and see what happens.  Try other
values.  Explore and learn.

BTW, you could just as easily reverse the roles of the word and
duration lists.  I.e., let TrialList have two rows, and a column for
duration, one row for each duration with a Weight of 5, and put
WordList in the Nested column.  Then put your words in WordList,
randomize everything, etc.  It's largely a matter of taste, or
whatever you feel most transparently represents your problem domain.