Does "Random" mean "Random without replacement"?

jbpsy1 jbpsy1 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 21:39:13 UTC 2008

I'm setting up an experiment that displays varying amounts of blocks
at random locations on the computer screen, as well at varying
presentation durations. I should say that there must be an easier way
to set this project up, but while I'm fairly adept at programming in
eprime, I've never been too keen on InLine objects or User Script
programing, so basically I know no other way than the fairly drawn-out
point and click method (which amounts to many lists and a huge
structure).

Anyhow, the experiment consists of a number of lists all feeding off
of one "master" list. Basically, at the "master" list, the program
picks one of three procedures to cycle through, then returns to the
"master" and cycles through again, randomly. I've weighted each of the
three procedures in the "master" list so that they are all completed
the same number of times, but my question arises after the program
picks a procedure from the "master" list and begins to cycle through
it... Once the "master" list randomly chooses one of the three
procedures to cycle through, it meets a second list (actually, each of
the three aformentioned procedures from the "master" list are set up
this way, so you only need to imagine one... the answer will apply to
all three). The second list consists of 11 different procedures that,
in the end, display a series of blocks a different number of times at
different presentation durations. It is important that all 11
procedure types from List2 (i.e. displays/presentation durations) are
presented an equal number of times. The second list is also set to
select randomly, and set so that 1 cycle equals 1 sample. Herein lies
my question:

Currently each procedure in my "master" list is weighted at 11 so that
it has the opportunity to display each of the 11 procedures from the
second list... By setting my second list to "random", will eprime stop
choosing a procedure that it has already chosen in a previous
iteration of the program? In other words, after one of the 11
procedures is chosen at random from List2, and the program cycles back
to the "master" list to cycle through again, can/will the same
procedure that has been displayed on a previous iteration be chosen
again, or will the program not re-choose an "already chosen" procedure
to run? With my project set up in this manner, can I be sure that all
11 procedures from list 2 have been displayed, or should I be
concerned that some may or may not ever be selected?

I appreciate your help!

jb