Does "Random" mean "Random without replacement"?

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Fri Jun 27 13:38:05 UTC 2008

JB,

Yes.  In E-Prime, "Random" means "Random without replacement".  This
is mentioned, among other places, in Tutorial 1 of the Getting
Started Guide, and the RandomOrder Object topic of the E-Basic online
help.  By contrast, "Random with Replacement", does, well, random
with replacement.

But you should test this for yourself.  Make a simple test program
with a single list of, say, 3 or 10 levels.  Set it to Sequential and
make sure that it plays everything in order.  Set it to Random and
see that it always does each level exactly once before
repeating.  Set it to Random with Replacement and see that levels may
repeat any time.