Windows Vista

lislog martin.lauterbach at sapo.pt
Sun Mar 30 11:34:55 UTC 2008

Hi Pedro,

I had also problems with e-prime 2.0 running on Windows Vista. The
slide onset time varies a lot and timeOut errors appears frequently.
The support of e-primes thinks that Vista is not the cause for that
problem, but I daught. The suggestions to solve the problem did not
work. I attach my correspondency with the e-prime support.
The same file runs perfectly on Windows XP. I decided to install
Windows XP on my new machine, in order to avoid incompatibility
problems.
All best Martin (lislog)

Dear collegues,
the experiment attached creates allways the following run time error:
the operation to load the sound timed out, error-999, Line 325:
Slide1_SoundBuffer.Load.
The buffer size is set to 5000 ms and the buffer mode is "streaming".
Setting the buffer size higher (e.g.15000 ms) does not resolve
anything. What else can I do to avoid the problem?
 From Matt Lenhart on 1/31/2008 3:18:00 PM
Hi Martin,

Early versions of E-Prime 2.0 had a number of sound buffering issues.
Our developers have attempted to reduce these issues as much as
possible. The first step to avoid this error would be to upgrade to
the latest version of E-Prime 2.0. This can be done via the following
link:

E-Prime 2.0 Professional - http://www.pstnet.com/downloads/e-prime/2.0/rc/EP2RC2.0.1.119.exe

Note that you will need to uninstall your current version before
installing the new one. Please try installing this upgrade and then
try running your experiment again. If you continue to have difficulty,
please let me know. Please include any error messages you receive. It
may also be helpful if you could attach a few of the sound files you
are experiencing this problem with. You can attach a single ZIP that
contains your files.

Please let me know what you find.

Sincerely,
Matt Lenhart
Technical Consultant
 From Martin Lauterbach on 2/6/2008 11:34:00 AM
DLApalNpalSRBox-1-1.edat
Dear Matt,

I applicated the changes You recommaded, but the problem, continues.
The same file runs on another labtop without any problem. The only
difference is that the labtop with problem runs on a Windows Vista OS,
the other on WindowsXP OS. In the E-prime data file the onset delays
for the slide vary in an inordenate manner. I attach the file. I was
trying to change the timing mode from event to cumulative without any
success. Do you have any further suggestions?
best Martin
 From Matt Lenhart on 2/11/2008 9:28:00 AM
Hi Martin,

The different operating systems between the two laptops should not
cause any kind of conflict with sound presentation. We have tested and
confirmed that E-Prime 2.0 is fully compatible on both. However, there
may be some small hardware differences between the machines that is
causing an error when the sound is being loaded. This problem is a
little difficult to diagnose and address, and our developers are
working to do so in future builds of E-Prime 2.0. You will be able to
download future builds via the "Download" section of this support
site.

In regards to the onset delay issue you are having in the data file
you attached, a Sound.LoadFactor attribute is available in E-Prime 2.0
that will allow you to alter the way sounds are loaded. This can
drastically improve performance. To set the value of this attribute,
place an InLine at the start of the SessionProc and enter:

c.SetAttrib "Sound.LoadFactor", 100

The value sent (i.e., 100 in this example) can be any number between
1-100. If 100 does not improve the issue, you can try other numbers.
If you are running on a dual-core machine, values 5 or lower may
improve things more than 100.

You may also want to try setting the Sound.LoadFactor attribute on the
Vista machine to see if this assists with avoiding the error message
you are receiving.

Please let me know what you find.

Matt
 From Martin Lauterbach on 2/21/2008 6:58:00 AM
Dear Matt,

I did the changes you recommended, but infortunately it did not solve
the problem. The onset time of the sound file continues to vary a lot
and the buffer exceeds easily its capacity. As you recommanded, I
tried various values for the Sound.LoadFactor, with no essential
differences between the settings.
I do not know how to change the Sound.LoadFactor on my computer. Where
should I introduce the changes? Or should I report the problem to
Toshiba (my computer is a Tecra S12), in order to solve it.
Hopefully soolving the problem soon
best Martin

 From Matt Lenhart on 2/25/2008 10:53:00 AM
Hi Martin,

The Sound.LoadFactor attribute is exclusive to E-Prime 2.0. This is
not a setting that can be changed on your computer. Rather, this
setting changes the way E-Prime 2.0 loads and buffers sound
internally. To change the Sound.LoadFactor value, you should simply
place an InLine at the start of the SessionProc and enter the script
provided in my previous response.

Also, though I am unsure of the length/size of your sound files, you
may want to consider changing the Buffer Mode back to
"Buffered" (i.e., instead of "Streaming"). The Buffer Size can be set
to any value up to 100000, so if your files are less than 100 seconds,
this is worth a try. Also, if the files are a reasonable size, you can
attach them to a response and I will run your experiment on my machine
and see if I can replicate the problem. This may lend insight to
another issue that may be causing the problem but has not yet been
considered. The support site can handle files 10MB or less, so if your
zipped files are less than this, you can attach the ZIP containing
them.

You can also try some other maintenance techniques, such as ensuring
that your sound adapter has the most up-to-date drivers. You will need
to contact the manufacturer to obtain these (you can typically go to
their web site to get them). You can also try shutting down any
background applications that could be interfering using the MSCONFIG
utility. Please see INFO: How to use MSCONFIG to troubleshoot machine
configuration and reduce background applications. If you continue to
have problems, you can generate a Tech Support report for us to look
at to see if your machine configurationg poses any problems. Please
see INFO: How to send a tech support report to PST representatives if
you are unsure of how to generate this report.

In general, our developers are aware of these problems and are working
to fix them in future builds of E-Prime 2.0. Unfortunately, the
problems vary from machine to machine and are a bit difficult to
tackle. However, we are working to sort them out and hope to do so
very soon.