Problems with sound + E-Prime 2 + Vista?

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue May 20 19:38:32 UTC 2008

As promised, here are the results of the survey that I started on 8
May 2008.  I received only one reply.  That reply reported the same
problems that we have (long onset delays and program crashes when
playing sounds with EP2 under Vista).

In addition, on the PST Forum I found 3 reports of simlar problems
playing sounds with EP2 (but those did not report whether they used
XP or Vista so I am not sure how to score them).  Most importantly,
tests at PST now confirm that playing sounds with EP2 under Vista can
result in long onset delays and program crashes.

I ran additional tests playing sounds with good old EP1 under Vista,
and found that this worked well.  Sounds also worked well with EP2
under XP.  So the problem seems limited to playing sounds with EP2 under Vista.

I would really like to balance this with some success stories, but
outside of PST itself I have no reports of success playing sounds
with EP2 under Vista.  So if you have success please send in a report.

Otherwise, it seems pretty well established that sounds do not work
well with EP2 and Vista.  Until somebody finds a solution to this, if
we want to play sounds with E-Prime we will have to either stick to
good old EP1, or stick to Windows XP instead of Vista.

-- David McFarlane, Systems Designer
    Dept. Psychology, Michigan State University