Learning e-prime

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Wed May 28 18:05:47 UTC 2008

>Can u guys suggest me how to approach(learn) e-prime.I am new to
>this.....it would be great if anyone suggests some tutorial where i
>can learn from scratch.......

1. Do Tutorial 1 (pp. 1-31) in the "Getting Started Guide" that came
with your E-Prime installation.  In general, the E-Prime tutorials
really are rather good.

2. Don't bother with Tutorial 2, I don't know anybody who uses the
Paradigm Wizard.

3. Do the Advanced Tutorials (pp. 72-100) in the "Getting Started Guide".

4. Optionally, do Tutorials 4 & 3 (E-DataAid and E-Merge) in the
"Getting Started Guide".

5. At this point you may want to pause and try building your own
programs.  This will get your feet wet and help you to appreciate the
following stages.

6. Do the tutorial from Chapter 2 of the "User's Guide" that came
with your E-Prime installation.

7. Go over all the sample experiments in Appendix C of the "User's Guide".

8. When you think you need to know more about inline script, work
through Chapter 4 of the "User's Guide".

9. By now you should give a serious try to writing your own programs.

10. When you are ready to delve further into the object-oriented
underpinnings of E-Prime, start scouring the online E-Basic Help
(from E-Studio, do Help > E-Basic Help).  This is the real reference
manual for E-Prime, the printed "Reference Guide" is a joke.

11. If you get really serious about programming and inline script,
get the appropriate books on Microsoft VisualBasic.  The "User's
Guide" contains some recommendations, or you may ask again here.

12. For advanced study, browse the PST User Forum (
support.pstnet.com/forum ) and the Archives of E-Prime List (
listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/eprime.html ) to see what problems
others have encountered and how they solved them.

13. At some point someone in your lab MUST (repeat, MUST) thoroughly
read Chapter 3 of the "User's Guide" about critical timing.  If you
care about critical timing, then you must also at the least run the
RefreshClockTest on all your experiment running machines (see
Appendix A of the "User's Guide").

That should get you started.  Hope this helps.