E-Prime on bootcamp

RickOG rickogorman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 11:41:13 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have had a look at the archives and can't see this issue addressed,
so I'd be grateful for any assistance.

I have an early 2008 Macbook Pro, with a bootcamp setup (WinXP SP3). I
have successfully installed/validated E-Prime running on the Mac OS X
using a virtualisation program (Virtualbox). However, I have been
unable to validate E-Prime on my bootcamp setup. I installed recent
Aladdin HASP key driver, and so the dongle light glows when inserted,
and Windows acknowledged it when I next put it in. However, I cannot
get E-Prime to validate with it. We have the single-user validation
system (green dongle?) rather than a network key. I know that many
people have E-Prime running on bootcamp setups, so I am sure there's a
way to get it to work but I can't figure out what's wrong.

Extra info: I didn't initially have the latest driver for the HASP
key, and installed that after E-Prime. I did uninstall E-Prime and
reinstall, but I also noticed that E-Prime does not fully clean out
the registry. I am wondering whether my initial failure to validate,
perhaps because I did not have a driver/recent driver, somehow got
something set in the registry that won't update?

I tried getting help from PST on this, but they simply say that they
don't support E-Prime on Macs, which is the height of a cop-out. The
CS rep said that they don't support non-native Windows, even after I
explained that it's running on an Intel chip, no different to a Dell
or HP!!! Eventually, she told me she'd pass my comments on to the
developers. <sigh>

I'd welcome any suggestions, particularly if you have had success with
a similar setup (ie, on a MBP with a single user validation dongle).

Cheers,

Rick