Digital I/O between EPrime and Biopac

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Oct 30 18:44:05 UTC 2008

At 10/29/2008 06:50 PM Wednesday, Cate wrote:
>I have now gotten Writeport (888,x) to work but I am still unable to
>read from port 889 (I get a value of 120 regardless of the TTL input
>I'm sending).  This leads me to believe that I either need to
>include some code to enable using the port for input, or that my
>port is not correctly configured in the BIOS for input.  I checked
>the BIOS and it is currently set to ECP mode.  Other options
>available for selection are EPP and PS/2.  Would you recommend using
>a different mode?

Would not hurt.  ECP and EPP are newer "bidirectional" parallel port
modes, PS/2 is the original, standard, "legacy" parallel port
mode.  I would try the PS/2 mode first.  After that fails I would try
the EPP mode for good measure.  After that fails I would follow the
link I sent earlier and try following those instructions.  Don't know
what I would do after that fails.

Before all that I would put a volt meter or oscilloscope on the
parallel port inputs to make sure they are what I think they are.  I
might also disconnect the BioPac and use another known signal
source.  I might also look at the output from the BioPac to make sure
that that is what I think it is.  Finally, I might find some other
more primitive software to inspect the state of the parallel port.  I
used to do this with the "i" command from the old DOS "debug"
utility, I don't know if that still works with modern Windows.  Short
of that I would write a primitive E-Prime script to just continually
display the state of the parallel port (and maybe a few neighboring
ports for good measure), just to make my debugging a little easier.