Multiple Choice Testing

Matt Lenhart mplenhart at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 18:09:46 UTC 2008

Hi Megan,

I have replied to your official PST support request with the same
question. In general, my recommendation is to look into the
Permutation selection method of the List object (section 2.5.3 of the
E-Prime User's Guide). This creates a unique combination of trials/
samples for each subject based on their subject number. Because you
only have 8 questions and 5 choices, you will not be taxing the system
to create these combinations (e.g., if you have 500 samples, this
would obviously require massive calculations on E-Prime's part). You
can thus create a TrialList with your 8 questions, have E-Prime create
the permutations, and then nest a List object for each question. The
nested List will contain the 5 possible choices, and will also create
an assign permutations.

If you have any questions related to my official response, you can
reply within the support thread.

- Matt
PST Technical Consultant
http://www.pstnet.com/