Evidence on e-prime timing accuracy compared to other similar software?

CB cb.lists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 19:56:06 UTC 2009

On Apr 22, 12:11 am, David McFarlane <mcfar... at msu.edu> wrote:

> 1) For an absolute measure of timing accuracy (as opposed to
> comparisons with alternatives), PST addressed this in Chapter 3 of
> the User's Guide that came with E-Prime, which I *insist* that anyone
> who cares about critical timing read.

Thanks David. I have read Ch3. and Appendix A of the UG, and agree
that they're essential reading.

> But the upshot was that all the best task
> software for Windows (including E-Prime) rely on Microsoft's DirectX
> technology, and all provide similar timing accuracy.

That goes along with my impression that differences between the
serious packages would be minimal, and swamped in practice by other
software and hardware differences between PCs.

> But please don't take my word for this, keep looking, and maybe I
> will post a link to the review when I find it.  In the meantime, you
> might try Google searches with terms including E-Prime, DirectRT,
> Inquisit (by Millisecond), DirectX, etc.  And then please let us know
> what you find.

If you do come across the reference I'd be interested. The only useful
published ref I've come across so far is http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12834085.
It's really comparing response devices, but is tangentially
interesting about e-prime (though in terms of absolute numbers; no
comparisons).