Simultaneous asynchronous loops//procedures

Dr. Dave Hairston dave.hairston at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 20:34:27 UTC 2009

I have a bit of a quandry I'm hoping someone has an idea for.
I'm trying to figure out a way that I can have different looping
procedures (e.g., lists) running "simultaneously", but the key is that
the actual stimulus presentations are asynchronous.

As a matter of explanation, I have a background tone that is played
constantly - lets say exactly every 450 ms
Meanwhile, there is is a task occuring on top of that - lets say, 1
trial every 5-7 seconds, but not consistantly (inter-trail jitter).
Also (and this is the key), the occurance of tasks procedures do not
line up w/ the background tones - sometimes they will overlap,
sometimes not (lets say the task presentations last 1000 ms).
Task and background must be asynchronous like this, so that event-
related EEG to one (e.g. background) will average out to noise when
averaging for the other (e.g. task).

Any way to do this? Inline scripting is no problem if necessary.
The difficulty is that I need to get data triggers for al lstim onsets
(e.g. OnsetData etc), otherwise I owuld simply pre-record the
background tones as one long .wav file and play it to stream with with
duration = 1 while teh rest of the experiment runs... but that gives
only the onset of the main file.

I assume there is no way to trigger one List/Procedure to bigin, but
move on to the next before it completes?

thanks,

Dave