OnsetDelay query

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Fri Aug 28 15:54:33 UTC 2009

River,

>So therefore the OnsetDelay in this instance describes the delay
>between the end of the fixation duration and the start of the image
>duration. Would this be correct?

Just to be clear, there is practically *no* delay between the
*actual* end of the fixation duration and the *actual* start of the
image duration.  OnsetDelay refers rather to the delay from the
*specified* start time of an object to the *actual* start time of
that object.  This is illustrated in a very complex diagram in
Appendix E of the User's Guide that came with E-Prime.

Beyond that, I would guess that your high-resolution images present a
problem.  You could test that further by trying some good old
6402x480 16-bit images.  Offhand, OnsetDelays of over 400 ms seem
*way* too long, and I hope others weigh in with their own experiences here.

You might also resort to pre-loading or caching the images before
display.  You may download PST's
"<http://www.pstnet.com/e-prime/support/samples.asp?Mode=View&SampleID=23>Pre-loading
images without the use of Canvas" sample from their web site, or you
may try the TimingParadigm5 example mentioned in Chapter 3 of the
User's Guide that came with E-Prime (PST does not provide
TimingParadigm5 for download, you must request it through e-mail or
Web Support as I did).