OnsetDelay query

Peter Quain pquain at une.edu.au
Mon Aug 31 07:01:51 UTC 2009

Hi

This problem could reflect poorly performing graphics system (or
other) on the computer. Agree with David - 1000 ms load times are
ridiculous, and even 400 ms, on the laptop, seems like a very long
time, whether it is happening during a trial sequence, or not. On an
old p4 2.8Ghz laptop, garden variety graphics, 768Mb RAM I got load
times in e-prime of 20 ms for a 2.3Mb BMP, 7 ms for 567Kb pic.
E-prime Users guide cites old Pentium 450MHz 30ms load times, bitmap
unspecified file size.

You should cache your image files.

- What are the file sizes? What are these machine's configurations?
Load times of 1000 ms out of order, unless your files are huge ..
+100Mb maybe ..., or your computer is old (and thus very slow), or ill.

-Your computer (graphics card / drivers?; have you a g-Force, N-vidia
card?? if so, try ATI... CPU?; RAM?; HDD?) mightn't be operating too
well when it comes to discussing images with e-prime... or there
could be something to do with the programming of the paradigm that is
screwing things up between fixation and stim. The wait object? can't
see how it could influence after fixation executes...

Maybe to find the more about cause of problem try
logging  'ActionDelay' on stim presentation pbject, with no
prerelease on fixation. Action delay will tell you how long it takes
for stim object to do all prep for drawing to screen. 1) If loading
is the problem, ActionDelay will be the same as onsetDelay. 2) if
they aren't the same then something else in the program is possibly
delaying execution of stim object. To check whether prerelease is
doing anything, set fixation pr to maybe 200 ms, then run and log
action delay and onset delay on stim object again. Action delay
should be the same as with no pr, and onset delay *should* be reduced
by 200 ms, i think. (but you report no influence of fixation
prerelease on onset time..??)

Reduction in load time of 400 ms (from 1000 to 600 ms with no
prerelease) with image dimension (and thus size) reduction (on the
same computer) would suggest that it is your computer graphics (and
or RAM, CPU, HDD) performance, not odd code, that is causing the
delay. A 1024*768*32bit image is about 5/8 file size of
1280*1024*32bit image (I think). Interestingly, but perhaps
coincidentally , 5/8 of 1000ms = 625ms. However, I can't work out how
this would add up with what you note about prerelease behaviour.

Same conclusion from the delay reduction on another machine (the
laptop). Don't think it would have anything to do with screen *size*,
provided that its screen could run native at the appropriate
resolution. Different machine, different graphics hardware, CPU etc =
different load times. Still long though ...

Anyway, try pre-load the image files, and if you still have timing
issues, change your video card - or your computer, if you have a
better specced 1 around.

Best
~Peter