EP2.0.8.73 maximum Buffer Size limit reduced

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Dec 17 19:31:34 UTC 2009

Our first lab updated to EP2.0.8.73 from EP2.9.8.22, and immediately
ran into a problem.  In short, it seems that EP2.0.8.73 reduced the
maximum limit on sound Buffer Size.  Details...

User had programs that ran fine in EP2.0.8.22, but at run time in
EP2.9.8.73 got the error message, "Internal error buffer size issue",
error #101.  This occured in the InitObjects subroutine as it tried
to execute Feedback.LoadProperties.  For debugging, we deleted
Feedback, and then the error just moved to SoundOut1.LoadProperties,
etc.  Turns out that Feedback also included a SoundOut
sub-object.  Looking further, these sound objects all had Buffer Size
set to 50000 or 60000 (experiment program originally developed in
EP1, as you have guessed by now).  Setting Buffer Mode to Streaming
and Buffer Size back to the default of 5000 cured the problem, which
is how things should be set in EP2 anyway.

The program had worked in EP2.0.8.22 and earlier because then the
maximum limit on Buffer Size was 100000, apparently this changed in
EP2.0.8.22.  I did try doing a binary search to find the new limit in
EP2.9.8.73, but the limit changed as I ran the search, I got it down
to the order of 45000.

With Streaming Mode in EP2, no one needs large Buffer Sizes anymore,
so this is not a critical bug, I post this only as information for
those few users who may run into this problem.