Reading from a file

David P Vinson d.vinson at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Feb 11 09:36:48 UTC 2009

Hi,

Greg wrote
> ...I need to search the log file (which is quite large) for one of the
> list entries used in the previous experiment and then extract some data
> from those results to use in the second experiment.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions how I can search through the log file for
> this information?

I had a similar situation and kept running into problems finding exactly
the right thing in the log file due to multiple instances of my target
text, only one of which was actually the one I was looking for.

It turned out it was much easier to use inline code to create a separate
text file to which only the desired information is written. This could
work in your case - adding this code to your first experiment. In its
simplest form the output file could contain a single LastValue, with a
filename that indicates subject/session (although probably better to add a
little bit more information for recordkeeping).

Your second experiment could then include a little snippet of code to read
in this value. This way you don't need to do some kind of more complicated
search through the log file, just open the little output file from the
previous experiment and read the desired value.

dv