key logging vs. advancing to the next slide with a "t"

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Feb 24 22:11:42 UTC 2009

Mary,

>we're using eprime 2.0.  We have our program set up so that it will
>advance to the next slide every time it receives a "t" that our MRI
>scanner sends out every 3 seconds.  We want to also be able to log our
>subject's responses on another keypad separately without moving to the
>next slide--but it seems like no matter what key we press (i.e., non-t
>keys), it will advance the slide.
>
>Apparently there's a way to do this if we add another short slide
>right after the first one that advances with a "t", but this would
>hurt our design and add more room for mistakes by adding this extra
>blank slide.  Can we both log responses and also "terminate" the slide
>for a specific key instead of any key?  (We tried going to the
>advanced button and typing in "t" for termination response and that
>did not work.  Do we have to do an in-line or something?

Perhaps, but there may be other ways.  I would explore adding a
second Keyboard device in the Input Mask for your original Slide
object.  It's a little known fact that you can add multiple instances
of any input device into the Input Mask of any display object, and
each instance can have its own settings for Allowable, Correct, Time
Limit, and End Action (I don't know where PST documents this, if
anywhere).  Be careful with this, it can get confusing as you have to
click on each instance in the Input Mask box to work with the
settings for that instance!  So anyway, keep your first Keyboard mask
as it is, terminating the slide when it gets a "t".  Then set up your
second Keyboard mask with End Action "(none)" so that subjects can
press keys without terminating the slide.  Just make sure subjects do
not press "t"!  Also, if you want to allow more than one response
then you have to adjust that under the Advanced button.

One gotcha though, I don't know how you get all your subject response
data out of this, I think it will store only the final "t" from the
scanner in the .edat2 file.  You might have to use some script and
the InputMask.Responses property to store the subject's responses to
the .edat file.  See the InputMask.Responses topic in the online
E-Basic Help, and/or search around on this Google group or in the PST
Forum, some of this has been discussed before.

And if it were me I would first test out this idea in a little demo
program for that purpose, rather than jumping right in and trying to
make it work on my real experiment program.  Once I get the tiny demo
to work I would apply what I learned to the real program.  Just a bit
of strategic advice from an old hand.