parallel port communication: event markers

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Jul 2 12:45:25 UTC 2009

Hi,
Doesn't seem to have much to do with the fact that you're using the parallel port for communication, I would say. I believe the following inline should be enough to send the number 28 over the parallel port:
WritePort &H378, 28

But conceivably, you want to have some data sent at the onset of this Proposal thingamabob you have, hence '.OnsetSignalData', rather than using the above which just sends the data, 28, at the moment this line is encountered at runtime.
So, as far as I know, Proposal.OnsetSignalData = 255 sends '255' over the parallel port, and you can change that to different numbers which you'll just have to reconvert in psychlab to conditions. The rest is just very basic inline. Let's say, you have a screen, TextDisplay1 in which you ask participants to indicate 'Accept' (press A) or 'Reject' (press R). The small inline should do the trick:
If TextDisplay1.RESP = "A" then Proposal.OffsetSignalData = 28 else Proposal.OffsetSignalData = 29

That's it (as long as this proposal object comes after the inline, and the inline after the TextDisplay1). In PsychLab, you can then say that 28 indicates Accept and 29 reject.

Best,
Mich

Michiel Spapé
Research Fellow