Can you do attribute referencing with colon notation for objects within slides?

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Mon Jul 6 19:34:49 UTC 2009

Adam,

Wow!  I believe you really uncovered an oversight in E-Prime (I stop
short of calling it a "bug" because a bug would be a behavior that
fails to follow the design, whereas I suspect here that the makers of
E-Prime simply failed to include this feature in their design).  I
tried this in EP2 (EP2.0.8.22) and got exactly the same error.  More
specifically, colon syntax works just fine for a Text sub-object in a
Slide; a SoundOut sub-object produces the compile-time error that you
described; and with an Image sub-object you get the error "Unable to
load image" as soon as you apply the change in the Properties dialog
-- in this case it acts as if adding the colon makes the E-Prime GUI
no longer recognize the square brackets as introducing an attribute
reference.  (I did not try a Movie sub-object in EP2.)  I do not know
what would happen if you tried to work around this by using inline
script to do the colon syntax references with the sub-objects, I will
leave that as an exercise for the reader.

I did a search for "colon" on the PST Knowledge Base and did not find
any report about this, so I suspect PST does not yet know about this
problem.  I may submit this myself to PST Web Support, but you should
not wait for me and you should submit this yourself.  Good job in
finding and reporting this problem.

Hats off,