Can you do attribute referencing with colon notation for objects within slides?

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Jul 7 14:31:07 UTC 2009

[Sorry to re-post this, but somehow my addition ended up as a fresh
post on the Google Groups page rather than getting added to the
original thread.  In order to keep the thread whole I am reposting
this in what I hope is a proper fashion.]

Adam,

I may have a workaround for you.  Let's suppose your Reference
attribute is in a nested list (and if it's not, then it really should
be).  For the sake of discussion, let's call your main list
TrialList, the nested list NestList1, and your slide
StimSlide.  NestList1 contains the attribute (column) Reference,
which you want to use with colon syntax in a SoundOut sub-object on StimSlide.

So, simply add another attribute (column) to TrialList, let's call
that MainReference.  Then use your colon syntax to have MainReference
refer back to Reference in NestList1, e.g., [Reference:0].  Now in
your slide sub-object, just use a straight reference to
TrialList:  [MainReference].  So you do not use any colon syntax in
the slide sub-object -- the slide sub-object refers to MainReference
in TrialList, which in turn refers (via colon syntax) to Reference in
NestList1.  Whew!

I tried this and got no errors.  So please give this a try and let us
know how it goes.

Thank you for an interesting and challenging question,