Can you do attribute referencing with colon notation for objects within slides?

Adam Osth adamosth at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 17:55:28 UTC 2009

Wow! First, it's a huge relief to know that I'm not crazy and that this is
an actual problem. Second, thanks for going through so much effort to both
identify the problem and find a potential solution! I greatly appreciate it.

About your solution, though. My framework is a little more complicated - I
actually already have a main categories list with 16 nested lists, all
containing 9 exemplars of each category. The individual categories have the
[Reference] attribute with the filename. So it goes like this:

Categories list *contains*
- nested: Relatives   w/ Reference attribute
- nested: Bodyparts  w/ Reference attribute
- nested: Clothing   w/ Reference attribute *contains*
     - Dress.wav
     - Skirt.wav
     - Shirt.wav
     - Sweater.wav etc. etc.

So that way, when the program is on level 1, it finds the first category,
then goes through Reference:0, Reference:1, Reference:2 etc. etc. and plays
all the sounds within that first list. Second level does the same for
category #2, and it goes through the lists sequentially.

So I tried your method by nesting the nested category lists within another
list and used colon notation, but the problem is that it never goes beyond a
given level. That is, at level 1 of the proc, [MainReference] finds
Relatives, then finds [Reference:0], chooses the first item on that list,
then repeats it.

So while your method is really good at finding a loophole, I need some way
to exhaust all levels of a nested list without shifting lists. Does that
make any sense?

Thanks again for your help!

Adam