Problems with trigger coding

Jessica jjm.barnes at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 00:06:09 UTC 2009

Hi everyone,

An absolute E-Prime newbie here. I'm just working on my first set of E-
Prime tasks (just standard stuff like stop-signal and flanker) for an
ERP study and I'm having a few issues with triggering at the moment.

The thing is that everyone in my entire lab uses Presentation and has
very limited or no experience with E-Prime (and we're trying to
diversify, which is why I've been asked to independently teach myself
how to use E-Prime so at least someone in the lab knows it), so I'm
not getting many answers from that direction. Hopefully you guys can
give me a bit of help with my problems.

I've set up my first set of triggers in a flanker task. However, when
I run it through our BioSemi set-up, the triggers are displaying in an
unusual way in the EEG read-out.

For the onset of the FlankerImage (see the screencaps below for my
task structure), the trigger is correctly displaying as the expected
numbers (128, 129, etc). For the onset of the inter-trial interval
(which indirectly denotes the participant's response), the trigger is
correctly displaying as the expected numbers (64, 65, etc). However,
at the onset of the FlankerImage, below the correct number, I'm
getting a second number that seems to be a summation of the numbers
coming through on the two different pins. So for example, below 128 in
the EEG readout will be the number 192, which seems to be a summation
of 128 and 64.

Here are some screencaps of my inline codes.
Inline 1 for onset of FlankerImage: http://i40.tinypic.com/2j2b7gp.jpg
Inline 2 for onset of ITI: http://i40.tinypic.com/5kp0ns.jpg

Does anyone know where I'm going wrong with the trigger coding? Is the
extraneous number in the EEG readout a problem? And please let me know
if I've put in any stupid/redundant coding. I'm really just stumbling
around in the dark with E-Prime at the moment.

Thanks for your help.

Jess