Problem with having an item drawn repeatedly from a nested list

Joseph Williams josephjaywilliams at gmail.com
Fri May 1 20:50:56 UTC 2009

Hi Everyone,

I'm having a problem with an item being drawn twice from a list that is
nested in a non-typical way. I had to give two different groups of subjects
two different sets of test items, so I had a list with counterbalance
selection: the list had list A and list B nested inside along with a
variable [listAorlistB]. The first level had list A as a nested list and the
variable [listAorlistB] had value "listA", the second had the same for list
B.

Then a list containing the sub-procedure that displayed the (e.g. 5) test
items had the variable ( [listAorlistB] ) as a nested list so that it always
choose the relevant set of items. When I look at the data file (and examine
the items by running the program) the first 4 items appear to be drawn
randomly, but the 5th and last one is a repetition of one of the previous 4:
e.g. 4 2 1 2 (instead of drawing item 3). The item numbers which are shown
(like in the example) are correctly given by (e.g.) listA[logLevel5], but I
don't understand why one is being repeated instead of drawing another one. I
looked at multiple subjects and I always get this problem, and I noted is
that the final and repeated item is always the item number in
listA[SubTrial].

Does anyone have any ideas about what the problem might be?

Thank you,

Joseph