PASAT

liwenna liwenna at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 11:58:08 UTC 2009

Hello David,

No PASAT ready made here but I can give some idea's on your questions.

For the correct answer I see two different options. Either you don't
randomize the trials but keep a fixed order in which case you can
simply create a attribute to each level (trial) that holds the sum of
that trial's number and the previous... non-randomized PASAT's are
pretty common I think? (also see below). Alternatively you can create
a 'user tab defined variable' that carries information over to the
next trial. On the script window in the lower left corner open the
user-tab and type "dim prevnumber as integer". Now at the end of the
trialproc insert an inline that assigns that trial's number the value
of prevnumber: "prevnumber = c.getattrib ("number") " wherein "number"
is the name of an attribute in your triallist that holds the value of
the number given in that trial (assuming that numbers will be
presented auditory?).  At the begin of the trialproc insert an inline
that calculates the correct answer based on the current trial's number
and the previous trial's number: " c.setattrib "correct", prevnumber +
c.getattrib ("number") ". This attribute "correct" should also be
created in your triallist and it's cells simply left empty, they will
be filled as the program runs.

Then the indication of two-digit answers... I am affraid I have no
really good ideas regarding that. Hopefully others will. But do I
understand it right that you want your participants to type in their
answer? I've never seen a pasat 'in action' but isn't it more common
(and more 'paced' ) to have them answer verbally? Which would require
answers to be recorded and scored 'by hand' which then also would
render non-randomized trials a more attractive option?

I hope the above is somewhat helpful to you,

Best,

liw