words reappear from learning list in testing list

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Oct 21 12:42:06 UTC 2009

Hi,
You should be able to do this with nested lists, and, I believe, no eBasic at all (though it may help you to try and learn some of that anyway).
Let's say your list ("WordList") of 400 words (attribute "TheWords") are used at a list at the *very beginning* of your experiment, I mean, as a nested list of the highest hierarchy. Thus, the list should only be randomized once (it will only go through one level, strictly speaking).
Now, in your experiment, you present the words using lists that explicitly specify the level of this wordlist, writing the following in your trials:
[TheWord:1]
[TheWord:2]
[TheWord...]
[TheWord:150]

Etc.
A bit of typing, indeed. Anyway, after that, you will know that if a level between 1 and 150 is used, the subject has seen it, and a level higher, not. Also, none of the words will be used twice. You might go on to say 1:50 is learning1, 51:100 learning2, etc.

Thus, in the second stage, you will always know if a word is from the learned list or not.
Maybe this doesn't help you, and I agree that Arrays would be much easier on anyone's cognitive capacity... but this here is a useful trick anyway, and quite powerful if you don't like script.
Best,
Mich

Michiel Spapé
Research Fellow