Creating Variables in Eprime

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Oct 27 15:54:21 UTC 2009

Hi David & David,
I agree, DavicMcF, that some people seem to write to this list as if we're actually PST support*, just throwing the questions with little regards to introductions and so on. Some people might like to know we're not paid by PST. Yet, I do not believe this question, like you responded to the last one, is beyond you (concerning exitvaluesamples).

Anyway, David McC,
You might try a bit more reading and working on tutorials, such as the amazing E-Primer (http://www.cognitology.eu/pubs/AnE-Primer2009.pdf) offers, as your language seems to suggest you're not quite aware of how best to structure your experiment in E-Prime. It is, and I don't mean this as patronising as it may sound, a bit like someone going to the MSOffice support forum and asking "I want to write a thriller novel, how do I insert a character into my storyline?" (perhaps hoping for a Sherlock Holmes wizard).
So yes, you can do with E-Prime what you want, but A: I'm not exactly clear what you want (you mean, a normal variable, attribute, or type?) and B: it'll probably be easier if you work without lots of script.
A1: (Var) Press Alt+5 twice to bring up the user script (user tab), and bring in your global variables! Such as "Dim WordOneWasPresented as string", writing in a little inline in your experiment that assigns "left" and "right" to WordOneWasPresented - WordOneWasPresented="left" for example. You could do it like that.
A2. (Attribute) Just add attributes to the first list - all sublists should have access to it.
A3. (Type) You can create new objects in E-Prime, from the documentation:@
Sub Main()
	Dim a As Object
	Dim b As Object
	Set a = CreateObject("phantom.application)
	Set b = a
	Set a = Nothing
End Sub
How cool is that? But if you mean something like this, I'm with DavidMcF - try to official support. If you want this heavy programming, I'd suggest C#

B1. Well, you could just store your words in, say, a 2-dimensional Array,
Dim TheWords(3,2) as string
TheWords(1,1) = "oneword"
TheWords(2,1) = "twoword"
TheWords(3,1) = "threeword"
And, upon presentation, you just make the list remember where you presented it. Let's say you have an attribute "WordLoc" that encodes where the current word is presented:
If "WordLoc" = "left" then TheWords(1,2) = "left" else TheWords(1,2) = "right"

Right, something like that? Forgive me if I have been giving sloppy instructions, rather than a good step-by-step guide, but I don't know exactly what you want and b, I have to do some work myself sometimes.
Best,
Mich

* note, upon re-reading this, it sounds a bit as if I accuse DmcF of being fed up with ill-defined and introduction-less questions - I do not mean that.

Michiel Spapé
Research Fellow
Perception & Action group
University of Nottingham