Filtering out Stroop Task trials based on sequence relation to other trials.

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Oct 28 17:21:46 UTC 2009

" you can certainly open data files from previous versions of E-Prime without any problem."

...Presumably because E-DataAid hasn't been changed in a decade or so!

	Anyway, what I typically do is copy the relevant variables (I mean, columns) to Excel, do some filtering there (if catA follows catB is pretty easy to do then). Then, go back to E-DataAid, add another variable (not everyone knows it is possible, but just use 'string', use the lowest level possible, and have filtering off before any of this happens) and copy your excel cells back to E-DataAid.
	From your experiment's point of view, just add a global ('user script' - dim MyGlobalVariable as string) variable, and do something like this
	c.SetAttrib "PreviousCategory", MyGlobalVariable
	MyGlobalVariable = c.GetAttrib ("Category")	'assuming the category is stored in an attribute called Category.
Done: now a new attribute will be available afterwards which contains the previous cat, from which the sequence relationship is easily computed.
Hope that helps!

By the way, I prefer designs in which the sequence relationship is randomised in a balanced manner, you might want to give that a try by just presenting two Stroop displays within a single trial procedure.

Michiel Spapé
Research Fellow
Perception & Action group
University of Nottingham