Response which leads to continuation of a procedure or starts another procedure

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Sep 21 16:34:00 UTC 2009

Hi,
So, what is your question? How far did you get? Did you get stuck anywhere?
It seems to me you're more familiar with other types of programming than e-prime - it makes less sense in E-Prime to make "procedures" the fundamental object which you would then call from dozens of lines of script. Instead of trying to do something like procedure.exit, you might try List.terminate instead, though, or (easier, I think) use a couple of jump labels.
Say, you have a procedure with
TextDisplay1, allowable input no (n)ew or (o)ld
An inline with 'if TextDisplay1.RESP = "n" then goto AfterContextQuestion'
TextDisplay2, "was it seen in context A or B?"
AfterContextQuestion
TextDisplay3, "thanks for the response" (whatever)

Of course, if you want, you can make it yourself difficult and do some inlining, with a loop until the participant says 'new', doing some textdisplay.run and/or calling various subs you declared beforehand. People here can do very ingenious things, and no doubt can come up with better ideas than mine here, but I'd suggest being a bit more specific and less schematic then. Do you, for instance, really want that E-Prime "runs a Context procedure", or is your aim that the participant will see this or that?
Best,
Michiel

Michiel Spapé
Research Fellow