Trouble playing sound files

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Apr 1 10:13:00 UTC 2010

Hi,
There's no need to 'try every combination'. Go to Windows Explorer, look up your audio file, right click, properties, and see summary. At least, if you use windows XP, you see everything of interest there: sample rate (22 kHz or 44.1 kHz), Channels (1 or 2). Your audio file is most likely to be the problem, especially if it has a funky sample-rate (24 bit for instance), or sample-rate (say 48 kHz for instance, if you took it from a DVD), or number of channels (if it'd be surround sound). So, first, what you need to do is edit your sound files using a decent editor, such as CoolEdit (my preferred one), nowadays called Adobe Audition (the bloat-ware adobe version) - you can find free trials on the web. Audacity is also okay, though not always very stable. Anyway, make sure you save it as windows PCM wave format (.wav), and notice the sample-rat and bitrate. Convert the files to a format any piece of software will understand: 44.1 Khz, 16 bit, stereo (cd quality - you might try something lower for timing, but lossy sound isn't brilliant either). E-Prime will only work with wave files, forget about all other formats (unless you work at the frauenhofer institut).

After that, start E-Prime, make an empty experiment and start with a single soundout object. Copy the file you made earlier in your experiment folder, browse to this file in the soundout filename property. Lastly, make sure the maxlength is greater than the number of milliseconds of your longest sample.

There's a detailed explanation on audio samples in e-prime and beyond in the infamous http://www.cognitology.eu/pubs/AnE-Primer2009.pdf

Let me know if this helped any!
Mich

Michiel Spapé