Trouble playing sound files

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Apr 1 15:39:58 UTC 2010

Hi David and Hannah,

'Hannah, thanks for first going through the manual and making sure that
at least the sound tutorial works, that is always the first step.  As
one of my longstanding troubleshooting mottoes goes, "Better to start
from success than from failure."

Now just a slight correction, Michiel Spape wrote:
> E-Prime will only work with wave files, forget about all other
> formats

However, EP2 can use .mp3 and .wma sound files.  Mich, for good cause,
probably here refers to good old EP1, which indeed is limited to
standard .wav files.'

It can? Blimey :) I would, however, be careful using these two standards
for two reasons:
1. Due to both being compressed formats, I'd not be immediately sure
whether their timing is handled properly by E-Prime 2. Actually, I've
never been sure on that front by E-Prime 1 and .wav files (I've heard a
number of audible plops related to cutting of files or buffering issues
when I used 50 ms pre-buffered wav files with 10 ms fade-ins and outs).
Nevertheless, professional audio software tends to convert such files
into .wav (or .au, if you're on a mac) formats, presumably for related
reasons (can't be too sure on that though).
2. Due to .wma and .mp3 being lossy formats, you will cope with degraded
quality, never mind that (at higher bitrates) it may be only
psycho-acoustically subliminally so. I tend to think that if you want
scientific stimuli, you will always go for optimal stimuli; by their
definition, lossy formats are not. But perhaps, this is just a tech-geek
way of thinking, in the same way that I really like big CRT screens
running at 200 Hz!

Have a nice Easter, everyone!
Cheers,
Mich