user button press

tiburona tiburona at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 23:41:49 UTC 2010

Hi all,

My ultimate goal is to present words on a page for the participant to
respond to, either via image or text, collect text input from
participants that they see on screen in an EchoClient, and
simultaneously display a "Next" button that participants can use to
advance to the next portion of the experiment when they are done
typing.  I've managed the first two elements fine, but getting E Prime
to terminate a screen in response to a button press is eluding me.  I
am new to E-Prime and near-hopeless with E-Basic (even though I have a
little programming experience).  I will probably eventually resort to
some subobtimal solution, like using the tab key to advance to the
next screen, because I'm skeptical I'll be able to get this running,
but I thought I would try an initial query to the group.

As a preliminary test, I set up a slide object (Slide2) with two
images (Image1 and Image2) on it.

I based this code on sample code from PST:

	Dim theState as SlideState
	Set theState = Slide2.States("Default")

	Dim strHit As String
	Dim theMouseResponseData As MouseResponseData

	If Slide2.InputMasks.Responses.Count > 0 Then

		Set theMouseResponseData =
CMouseResponseData(Slide2.InputMasks.Responses(1))

		strHit = theState.HitTest(theMouseResponseData.CursorX,
theMouseResponseData.CursorY)

		If strHit = "Image1" Then
		     Slide2.Stop

		End If

	Do Until (strHit = "Image1")

	Loop

	End If

I tried placing it before and after the slide object in a Procedure,
but it didn't work either way (still not sure which is right).  I was
wondering if someone could help me understand why.  I'm trying to
build up to what I'm actually attempting from smaller bits.  I have
found other sample code related to what I'm trying to do (for
instance, here: http://www.pstnet.com/forum/Topic4009-23-1.aspx?Highlight=HitTest)
but when I try to modify it it doesn't work either, so I figure maybe
if I start with a very simple unit I'd have a chance of building up
some understanding.

Thanks very much,
Katie