recording audio response - SoundCapture device not recognized

mt teachsmith at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 20:45:26 UTC 2010

Hi -

I am setting up an experiment with vocal responses. We can easily
capture response onset with SRBox and a mic. We would also like to
capture the utterance (yes/no), possibly for voice recognition and
feedback. What type of device is needed for this? I have tried using a
mic on my simple Conexant SmartAudio Codec. The problem seems to be
that e-prime has no way to write the audio file or it is not
recognizing that the "SoundCapture" device I have "added" is present
(It isn't an option as an 'input device' in the response options. I
seem to be missing something basic about this.

Has anyone recorded voice responses successfully? Any tricks to share?
Assuming it is possible, has anyone used voice recognition for
feedback on vocal responses?

Thanks for anything you can share.

Best,
Cathy Smith