Randomised sub-lists

Hester hester.duffy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 15:53:53 UTC 2010

Hi All,

I'm trying to set up a study in which participants rate the stimuli
used in another experiment. I have 360 stimuli in all, but I only want
each participant to rate 60 of them, and I want to do this in such a
way that each of the stimuli gets used the same number of times.
Obviously I could just create 6 lists of 60 items each and use
different run files each time, but I'm wondering if there's a more
efficient and elegant way of doing it.

I've tried setting the list to reset after a cycle of 360 samples, and
to exit after 60, but having run it three times, and then compared the
lists of stimuli used, I'm getting duplicates, so it's clearly not
doing what I want. Basically, I need it to give the first participant
a random list of 60 taken from the full list of 360; the second
participant should then get a random list of 60 taken from the
remaining 300, the next a random list of 60 from the remaining 240,
and so on, until the sixth participant has a randomly-ordered list
consisting of the remaining 60 items. It would then reset, so that the
seventh participant gets a random list of 60 from the original 360
(but not necessarily the same 60 as participant 1).

Does anyone know whether E-Prime can do this, and if so, how?

Many thanks,