Pinout diagram for SR box

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Apr 27 16:18:29 UTC 2010

Joel,

1) Because of your custom hardware, PST Web Support will almost
certainly do you no good in this case (see #3 below).

2) The pin numbers that you refer to (from my earlier post)
themselves refer to pins on a 40-pin header inside the SRBox, not
pins on the computer.  So of course those pin numbers are irrelevant
to you.  They apply only when you connect external switches to the
SRBox, then connect the SRBox to the computer, i.e., using the SRBox
as an interface to translate simple digital on-off signals into serial data.

3) If your custom device does indeed "function like an SR box", then
you would need nothing more than a serial cable and treating it like
a regular SRBox in E-Prime.  But I highly doubt that you
meant  "function like an SR box", your department's electronic
workshop almost certainly instead made a voice key device that
provides a simple digital on-off signal.  In that case, you may
either (a) patch it through an SRBox as described earlier, or (b)
connect it directly to an available digital I/O port (e.g., an
old-fashioned parallel printer port); in this case you would then
treat it as a Port device in E-Prime, and for that you could look up
the appropriate topics in the Guides, the online E-Basic Help, and
the PST Knowledge Base, or in this case contact PST Web Support.

Hope that clarifies matters a bit,