Adding a visual basic script into E-Prime

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Apr 29 22:51:17 UTC 2010

Sorry, I should have been a bit more clear and emphatic.  Once again,
although E-Prime does derive from VB, EP is an entirely different
beast, entailing a completely different programming design structure,
and there is absolutely no sense at all in making something in
E-Prime unless you build it fresh from the ground up according to
E-Prime style.  Any code you have may help somewhat in laying out the
general logic of your task, and then you have to take it from
there.  In any case (aside from reusing well-designed routine
libraries) you should *never* take anyone else's code wholesale (we
had a student lose 2.5 years of dissertation research because of such
a mistake), you should always fully understand whatever code you are
porting to the point that you could recode it from first principles.

BTW, I took another look at that code sample, and it is clearly
labelled as something that does not even work.  So why would you
start from broken code in the first place?  I highly recommend that
you  1) decide on a programming platform that suits you,  2)
carefully think through your task design, and then  3) program that
design in the chosen platform.  If you are not up to that then
perhaps you should hire some professional help.

OK, I'm late getting home and tonight is Survivor night...