Using Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Aug 10 14:35:21 UTC 2010

Dana,

First, I would not expect anyone from Dell to know anything about
what is needed to run E-Prime, so you are indeed wise to question the
advice of the Dell rep.

Second, if you search the Google Group or the PST Forum for "Windows
7" you will find earlier reports addressing your very
question.  FWIW, PST has still not revised its statement of 16 Nov
2009, "PST does not recommend using Windows 7 at this time for data
collection."  (They also have not come through with a "more formal
statement" with timing test results scheduled for Q1 2010).

But finally, I hope that you do us all a favor and pioneer this for
us -- go ahead and get Windows 7, try running E-Prime under XP mode,
and report back with the results.  Pay particular attention to delays
and crashes when playing sound
(http://support.pstnet.com/forum/Topic1361-12-1.aspx ), crashes when
playing movies (http://support.pstnet.com/forum/Topic1850-4-1.aspx ),
and anomalies in measured response times
(http://support.pstnet.com/forum/Topic2994-12-1.aspx ).  And if you
then find that EP does not run well under Windows 7, you can always
reformat and revert to XP, like many of us have done.

Thanks,