neuroscan triggers help

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Mon Aug 23 21:20:30 UTC 2010

At 8/20/2010 03:09 PM Friday, Martin wrote:
>I use Scan4.0 (Neuroscan through Compumedics) to record EEGs and
>currently use STIM2 for experimental design and sending time-stamps to
>the EEG recording.  I have designed an experiment in E-Prime and want
>to send time-stamp triggers to neuroscan. I've done some research on-
>line and this is what I have tried.
>
>I created an InLine Object within my TrialProc.  I tried the following
>script (WritePort address, value):
>
>WritePort &H378, 1
>
>But that didn't work.
>
>I have three ports in device manager with different addresses (LPT =
>0378, COM1 = 03F8, COM2 = 02F8)
>I've tried each of these address, but they haven't worked.   In the
>STIM2 program, the port is set at KPC124 PCI -- I tried varations of
>this but no luck so far.
>
>Here are my basic questions so far?
>
>1. Am I using InLine Objects correctly for sending triggers?

Chris Blais covered that in one way.  You might also use the
.OnsetSignal... properties, see the
RteRunnableInputObject.OnsetSignalEnabled and associated topics in
the online E-Basic Help.

>2. How do I find (or write) the correct address to send a trigger to
>Scan4.0?

a) Ask the manufacturer of your device.  b) Consult the documentation
for the device.  c) Physically trace the cable from the device back
to the computer and see if you can recognize whether it connects to
an LPT port, a COM port, or some other oddball I/O port.

Given some arbitray equipment controlled by a computer, I would not
assume that it is attached to the LPT or COM port, or if they were
that this was LPT1 or COM1 as opposed to LPT2, etc.  But if you do
know that it is attached to an LPT or COM port, then you can find the
port address in Windows, just ask someone in your IT department to do
that for you.  If it is attached to some other I/O board then you
will have some digging to do.  And even if I knew what port to use, I
would not assume that it uses the value "1" for a trigger signal.  I
might try sending a &hFF to set all bits and see if that works, and
if so I would titrate from there.

Finally, things like WritePort and .OnsetSignal... work only for
straight digital I/O ports, if you use a COM port then you have to
deal with the SerialDevice object in E-Prime.

>3. If I have several slides with a different response for each slide
>in TrialProc, how do I make a different trigger for each response. Do
>I use a different InLine object for each one with a different trigger
>value?

I might put the trigger values into a List attribute, then use that
attribute reference in my inline code.  Please work through Chapter 4
of the User's Guide that came with E-Prime.