Wisconsin card sorting test

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Mon Aug 23 21:24:44 UTC 2010

Well, I toyed with the idea of making a simple WCST in E-Prime just
to amuse myself.  But when I looked into it further, I got puzzled.

The WCST started off with simple printed materials administered
manually by a human examiner.  Clearly the WCST does not require
millisecond precision.  So if we simply want to automate it, why use
such an expensive, specialized, and heavyweight platform as
E-Prime?  Wouldn't it make more sense to use some more common
platform such as JavaScript, or Flash, or Python, or even straight
Visual Basic?  Note that the WCST was automated using simple Turbo
Basic (for DOS?) as far back as 1996.  Isn't this another case of,
"When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"  Or,
insofar as I have not kept up with the literature on the WCST, am I
just missing something that is obvious to the rest of you?

Also, apparently scoring the test is quite complex (perseverative
errors, nonperseverative errors, etc.), so building that into the
program (as opposed to leaving that to later data analysis) would
take some care.

Finally, did anyone else know that the term "Wisconsin Card Sorting
Test" was trademarked by Wells Printing and Digital Services of
Madison, Wisconsin, USA (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisconsin_card_sort )?  So we cannot
give the name "Wisconsin Card Sorting Test" to any printed materials
that we produce, but since the trademark does not cover computerized
versions we may continue to use the name "Wisconsin Card Sorting
Test" for our computerized versions.

With all that said, note that someone did make an automated WCST demo
for Inquisit's Millisecond
(http://www.millisecond.com/download/samples/v3/CardSort ), though I
do not know what data it stores or how it handles the test scoring.