Wisconsin card sorting test

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Fri Aug 20 16:10:43 UTC 2010

liwenna,

>Heh David,
>
>I was considering doing the exact same thing ^.^  Yet... there doesn't
>seem to be any WSCT scripts available on the net (anymore?).
>
>So Maaike/Mieke, you're not really helped with that.

Indeed, I must apogize for rushing to judgment with my earlier
response.  I am familiar with the library of E-Prime programs
provided by STEP, ran a Google search, and saw that STEP came up as
the top hit, so I simply assumed that the link went to the desired
example program.  Only later did I notice that the link went to a
.pdf - oh oh!  And when I followed that link I found that the .pdf
simply mentioned the WCST as part of the plans for the future of
STEP, and it seems that never happened.  (Come to think of it, in the
2001 article in Beh Res Methods, Instr & Computers the authors
envisioned a grand plan for E-Prime, which has not come about).  So
my earlier response did not provide the desired help.

As far as I can tell no one has made an E-Prime WCST available on the
Web.  It would be quite interesting to make one.  As I recall, in
essence the task involves operantly rewarding the subject for
correctly following an undisclosed rule, changing the rule whenever
the subject achieves an overall success criterion, and seeing how
well the subject can adapt to the changing rules.  This would require
some interesting code in E-Prime, in particular scoring the success
rate and then changing the "correct" rule on the fly, but it could be
done.  Wish I had the liberty to do it myself.