nback

ben robinson baltimore.ben at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 23:20:14 UTC 2010

see, here's the thing.  i wrote that program, but it's been years since i've
looked at it, and if i were asked today to provide an n-back program i'd
probably make it from scratch...
that said, i believe that the "listFIRSTS" is a list of trials, applicable
across all blocks (0-back, 1-back, etc), wherein targets are never
presented.  this was the work-around i came up with to avoid having a target
trial randomly selected, say, in the second trial during the 3-back block.
 that wouldn't work because you'd not yet have encountered three stimuli
from which to repeat the 3rd one back.
i'm not thrilled to hear that listFIRSTS was causing you problems with the
0-back, but at the same time i'm pretty sure (if memory serves) that
listFIRSTS is necessary to prevent premature target trials across all
conditions.

ben