Non-allowed responses

David Vinson d.vinson at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Aug 27 12:40:16 UTC 2010

Hi Hester,

I'm pretty sure E-Prime does not automatically permit 0 as a response if
you have set allowable inputs to something else.  (I checked one such
experiment I have on hand, and no dice - only allows 1234567 and not 0).

If you really have no 6 responses in your data set, my first thought
would be to double check the "permitted responses" in your experiment
file(s).  Especially if there are trials which are meant to have such a
response - it seems highly unusual that no subjects would ever respond 6
if it's a viable choice.

This seems like an easy mistake to make - coding permitted responses as
012345 instead of 123456.  Such mistakes can very easily slip through if
you have multiple response devices enabled (we had one such situation a
while back when using the SR-box and the keyboard: changed input numbers
on one but forgot to update the other one).

If so, some of your subjects may have adopted a strategy of trying 0
after unsuccessfully mashing the 6 key, while others may have selected
the next best choice.

You might also check and see whether all subjects ran on the same
version of your experiment - if this pattern exists only in subjects who
ran in one particular time period, or something like this.  (such
situations can happen, for example, if the e-studio version of the
program is updated, but a newly compiled .ebs or .ebs2 file is not
updated on data collection machines).

However, I hope you find a better answer - all of my answers would
create problems interpreting the data you've already collected!

-dv

> This is probably a stupid question, but I'm a bit bewildered. I've run
> an E-rpime experiment in which participants were asked to identify the
> accent in which some sentences were spoken; after each sentence, a
> text display asked them to press 1 for Italian, 2 for Polish, 3 for
> Welsh, and so on. They were offered the numbers 1 - 6, and the
> allowable inputs were set as 123456.
> Looking at the data, there are no 6s in the responses, but there are
> 0s. These are not time-outs, as far as I can tell by looking at the
> response time data, and I'm getting them in the data from several
> different participants (but not all). So how do I have non-allowable
> inputs? Is this a glitch, or does E-prime atomatically allow 0 as an
> input, or what? Any insight very welcome!
>
> Many thanks,

David Vinson, Ph.D.
Senior Postdoctoral Researcher
Cognitive, Perceptual and Brain Sciences Research Department
University College London
26 Bedford Way, London WC1H 0AP
Tel +44 (0)20 7679 5311  (UCL internal ext. 25311)