eprime capabilities

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Dec 9 12:27:24 UTC 2010

Hi,
What exactly do you wish E-Prime to calculate? "whether they correctly used weak-strong (WS) or strong-weak (SW) stress (this could be calculated using a pairwise variability index (PVI) - a positive PVI would indicate SW, and a negative PVI would indicate weak-strong stress)" would mean that the computer A) records vocal responses (possible in E-Prime), B) that vocal responses are classified as WS/SW, right? I'd imagine if you would do the test semi-automatic - let e-prime record responses and so on, and then have the experimenter classify the words immediately after the participant says them (I mean, after every trial, for instance), this would be possible. If you wish to know whether E-Prime can do any sort of higher-order analysis, the answer is no (unless you are REALLY REALLY good with programming, in which case you could do the same with much more ease in .NET, c#, Matlab, etc). It cannot do signal analysis at all (therefore no acoustic analysis either), nor is it (I imagine) intended to do such things.

BUT, the semi-automatic way is probably much easier for anyone involved. I mean, the few times I did a Stroop task with vocal responses, I classified the subjects' responses (tip for those thinking of it: classify the first letter of their literal response ('g' if green, for instance), not whether it is correct, or _you_ will have a Stroop effect as well as the subjects!) as well. You will have to endure [number of subjects * boredom involved in task = ] total boredom though.

Hope that helps,
Mich

Michiel Spapé
Research Fellow