eprime capabilities

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Dec 10 10:09:54 UTC 2010

Hiya,

Thanks for the clarification. I understand what you want e-prime, or some other psycho-prog to do, but if so, you may still ask yourself HOW MUCH you want to do this - because it will be difficult. The thing is, to my knowledge, nobody has written an automated script to do the thing you want, which would be:
1. Recording vocal responses to buffer (to .wav would be probably too slow - real signal analysis software can do this sort of thing on the fly, but I'd imagine you just might be able to come up with something based on a flow of save-to-wav then read-from-disk then analysis then feedback, but read on)
2. Analysis using sophisticated signal analysis. Language labs may have that kind of thing, but those I know prefer to do this off-line (outside the experiment) because it is VERY tricky indeed. For example, you might (at least most people do) think syllables can be easily observed in a wave-form, so that the word 'programming' has a wave-form of roughly 3 distinct waves 'pro' 'gram' 'ming'. After finding out what the first wave is (thus, the first syllable), you will easily see which was has the higher volume, and thus detect stress, right? (I see PVI detects it based on syllable duration, but the point is merely to illustrate the difficulty of connecting the higher to the lower order - loudness to wave amplitude, here)
No, the spaces seldom exist, words, as waveforms, are often jumbled together, syllables may be bigger points of empty sounds than actual spaces, or vice versa (thus two words will be detected as one, or vice versa), there's _massive_ variance between participants, and, more annoyingly, between separate phonemes (P sounds produce big 'pops', for instance). Then, the 'high volume' means either high peaks, high absolute averages (envelope), high RMS? A P-pop, for instance, has a much higher peak than the (very subtle) difference between stress, therefore making it really quite difficult to 'see' stress in syllables, let alone programming it so a pc can do it automatically. Having produced quite a bit of spoken word music, myself, I lack the ability to see stress in wave-forms, actually...

I am almost certain that normal stimulus presentation software (e-prime, DMDX, superlab, etc) might be able to do what you want it to do - but you'd need great amounts of experience both in advanced signal processing and (to use such knowledge in the way you want it to) lots in programming languages. You might, if you go that path, find it much easier to work using matlab, which has signal processing scripts pre-written (and, presumably, language labs doing the sort of thing you want, have scripts to work out), which should make things a lot easier. Also, PsychoPy might be able to help you, since you could presumably incorporate pre-written Python scripts.

My apologies if this all sounds very drastic, I'm mainly trying to show you that, as David pointed out, it is more difficult than you may think. Perhaps this is because E-Prime (and similar software) seems to have been designed for experimental psychology (priming experiments, etc) rather than as a piece of all-purpose experimentation/analysis software. What you want, then, sounds a bit like me hoping E-Prime (or such software) will not only present my stimuli, but also analyse EEG and give biofeedback. The easiest way I could think of to have E-Prime do what you want is to employ a similar setup: have one computer (with the speech analysis software running) connected to another one (serial cable) and another running E-Prime (granted, it's not a *very* easy solution).

In summary then, three thoughts: try Matlab (and see if you can get a speech analysis toolkit for matlab), try psychopy (and see if you can get a speech toolkit in Python) and try to find a dedicated, automated speech analysis toolkit from some place that might work in conjunction with other bits of software.

Cheers,
Mich

Michiel Spapé
Research Fellow